Cool maps and the globe

Cool maps and the globe

Friday, October 10, 2008

Action plan: integrating History and English- slavery




Mrs. Smith 09 Aug 08
Edg Action Plan
I am going to be a secondary History or English teacher. For this action plan, I am pretending that I’m teaching a sixth grade History classroom. We are going to be starting the unit on slavery and in order to get students more involved and be able to retain the information better; I will begin this unit using Harry Potter as an example. I will have a few sections of the book that had Siruis treating the house elf poorly; and then, Ron telling Hermione and Harry about house elves and how they are slaves. Lastly, I will show them some of the sections that Hermione started talking about SPEW and the things that she did to try to trick the elves into freedom. All of the sections that I will need for this will be found in, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
By using this information, I will show how this was very similar to the treatment of slaves in the United States. I plan on showing students how slaves were treated as property, and because of this, owners felt like they had the right to treat slaves anyway that they want to. I will use examples from Roots and maybe another slavery movie to show how they were treated. I want students to understand that slaves were beaten so bad sometimes they were killed. Even though a master killed a slave, there would be no murder charges filled because the master only treated his property badly.
I will also teach them how families were split up and marriages were not considered legal because the slaves were not treated like people. I will remind my students that not all master treated slaves badly, but a lot of them did not mind separating families because they needed the money from the sale.
When we start talking about people that were trying to help slaves escape and become free, I will remind my students about reading about SPEW and Hermione. There were some people that thought that a person should not be owned by another person and the United States was built on freedom. We will learn about the important people that helped lead slaves to freedom through the underground railroad. I will make sure that my students understand what the underground railroad was and how this was much like what Hermione was trying to do with SPEW.
Harry Potter can be used in almost any classroom, when used correctly. There are many benefits, including, being able to connect the new content to something that students already know and like. Even if some of the students haven’t read any Harry Potter, I will make sure that there is enough background information for students to be able to connect a fun theme with a hard subject. There can be a draw back because not every student is guaranteed to have read the series or even one of the books. The other problem could be that some students have read some of Harry Potter and just don’t like the books, so they decide to distract the other students. Also, there may be student’s parents that don’t want them hearing or reading about Harry Potter because of their religious beliefs. I will need to decide which classes this will work for and which ones this won’t because every classroom will be different.

No comments:

The World At Your Hands

The World At Your Hands

Political Cartoon

Political Cartoon

Political Cartoon 2

Political Cartoon 2

Followers